Unum is committed to racial justice and equality in our company and our communities
As a nation, our wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives make us stronger. Now more than ever, we must commit to inclusion and diversity in our communities.
“We have not made enough progress toward racial justice and equality in the U.S.,” said CEO Rick McKenney. “We still have work to do to embrace race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the other differences that make us stronger as a nation. And that work starts with, and includes, each of us.”
Racial equity and equality are core beliefs in the “appreciation for differences” tenet of We Are Unum, our workplace values and principles. As a company, we will continue to engage in difficult conversations to make progress, while always remaining respectful and empathetic to each other.
At Unum, we will acknowledge the effects of racial injustice on our society, creating space for dialogue and support among the Unum community, and leading toward equal justice for all.
Unum Social Justice Fund
In July 2020, Unum launched a Social Justice Fund to create stronger, more equitable communities by supporting organizations working to end racism, discrimination and bias. A mix of employee donations, company matches, and an annual corporate gift of $500,000 will support the fund.
Local organizations devoted to ending social injustice can apply for the grants at www.unum.com/about/responsibility/charitable-giving. Grant requests can range from $2,500 to $10,000. Applying organizations must have a 501(c)3 designation or a fiscal sponsor. Unum’s philanthropic partner is the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga.
Unum’s Inclusion & Diversity Programs
We’re dedicated to creating a culture of belonging where our employees see themselves in every aspect of our business. Here’s a sampling of our Inclusion & Diversity programs at Unum.
- The Office of Inclusion & Diversity and Inclusion Council lead enterprise-wide efforts to operationalize inclusion across the company.
- The Catalyst Program trains and develops Unum leaders to help drive inclusion in their business areas.
- The Champions Program develops people managers as inclusion champions who spark dialogue, advance education, and inspire action through events and activities.
- Our five Employee Resource Groups work with Unum’s Office of Inclusion & Diversity to help advance Unum's inclusion journey and represent the full spectrum of what makes us unique. Groups are open to all Unum employees — whether they identify as a member of the group or an ally.
- A Multicultural Leadership Development Program prepares racially diverse employees to advance to higher levels of leadership through a 7-month development curriculum.
- A Reverse Mentoring Program pairs company leaders with diverse employee mentors, encouraging leaders to grow in their inclusion journey and offer mentors an opportunity to expand their network and develop their leadership capabilities.